This week on Leafypages, we chatted about writing a series. Here are the ten (11) tips we came up with.
- Plan all the stories at once.
- Remember that the problems you give your characters in book 1 might come back to bite them later.
- Give yourself a short break in between books, but not long enough to forget details.
- Create characters you like and can stick with for 3+ books.
- Keep track of your details.
- Make each book have it’s own arc. Think of it like tv. Episodes/seasons.
- Content edits are important. Have someone who has read the first in your series read the rest to catch mistakes.
- Use the same beta readers.
- Be careful not to write yourself into a hole.
- Make characters people will care about through several books.
- Know when to quit.
What do you think? Got any advice for writing a series?